The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is getting a refined list of offerings for the new model year, including the Multi-Flex Tailgate that was announced last week. Production of the model will begin in September and it will arrive at Chevrolet dealerships throughout the autumn.
According to the company’s polling, 96 percent of light-duty pickup truck owners tow less than 10,000 pounds. Two Chevy trucks are getting a boost to get them closer to that benchmark.
The new Multi-Flex Tailgate is just like GMC’s MultiPro Tailgate.Photo courtesy of Chevrolet
Models powered by Chevy’s turbocharged 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine that are equipped with a Crew Cab and Short Box see their towing rating increased by 2,500 pounds to 9,300 pounds for the 2021 model year. A new Regular Cab/Long Box configuration offers a tow rating of 9,600 pounds with the same engine.
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 models powered by a 3.0-liter Duramax turbo-diesel engine have their trailer capacity increased by 1,900 pounds for 2021 to 9,500 pounds on two-wheel drive models. Chevy has also given these trucks a $1,500 price decrease for the new model year.
The Silverado 1500 has also gotten new camera technology for 2021. These upgrades are similar to what is in the GMC Sierra for the coming model year. In addition to its previous 15 unique camera views, Chevy adds:
- Trailer Length Indicator – When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert – Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement – Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator – Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer3.
- Rear Side View enhancement: Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
The 2021 Silverado 1500 also adds more customer-friendly content at all price points to an already compelling truck lineup, including:
- Custom and Custom Trail Boss are now standard with Custom Convenience Package and Infotainment Package, which include EZ Lift power lock and release tailgate, bed LED cargo area lighting, remote start, available SiriusXM radio, available OnStar, and more.
- Work Truck, Custom and Custom Trail Boss now offer 40/20/40 split-bench front seat and a new Safety Confidence Package (late availability), which includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Front Pedestrian Braking, steering wheel audio controls, and 4.2-inch driver information center.
- Custom Trail Boss and LT Trail Boss are now available with 20-inch black wheels with Goodyear Territory MT Tires (late availability).
- LT and RST now come standard with the All Star Edition content, which includes the Convenience Package, Trailering Package, and an auto-locking rear differential.
- LTZ now comes standard with the LTZ Convenience Package, Safety Package, and 20-inch polished wheels.
- Wireless phone projection through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability is standard on LTZ and High Country, and available on LT, LT Trail Boss, and RST.
- A first for Chevrolet, Adaptive Ride Control is now available on High Country models with 22-inch wheels to provide enhanced ride comfort.
Three additional exterior paint job options are also being made available: Mosaic Black Metallic (late availability and at extra charge), Oxford Brown Metallic (available at extra charge), and Cherry Red Tintcoat (available at extra charge).