UK-based Mazda tuner BBR Motorsports has announced a new tuning upgrade for all 2005 and younger third-generation (NC) MX-5 Miatas with 2.0-liter engines. The modification is part of the new Super 225 package.
The upgrade builds on BBR’s previously available Super 200 conversion. It gives the car an additional 67 bhp and 36 pound-feet of torque. In a car that only weighs 2,400 pounds off the line, that’s a significant boost.
“The main challenge for our development program was optimising the intake side of the engine by switching to bespoke independent throttle bodies (ITB’s,)” said BBR’s Neil McKay, “while retaining the standard Mazda Denso engine management system and under bonnet layout.”
The car only weigh around 2,400 pound initially so the horsepower upgrade is substantial.Photo courtesy of BBR
Each modification is completely reversible.
“To maximise performance the OEM Mazda MAF sensor and plenum chamber are dispensed with for the Super 225 conversion, but the original factory drive by wire throttle configuration is retained and integrated into the BBR independent throttle body set up. Here is where BBR’s close partnership with EcuTek enabled us to develop an ECU calibration to accommodate this new hardware, which entailed a considerable amount of dyno time and road testing to accumulate mileage and refine the end package,” McKay said.
In the end, the MX-5 ends up with 224 bhp and 174 pound-feet of torque. Over 170 pound-feet of that torque is available from 4,000-6,000 rpm, with more than 150 pound-feet available from 3000 rpm all the way up to the 7800 rpm rev limiter.
BBR has ensured that the Super 225 upgrade is fully UK MOT emissions compliant. Following the upgrade, the car can run on either 98 or 95 octane fuel, while an optional BBR air filter is advisable for everyday use.
All modifications are fully UK MOT emissions compliant.Photo courtesy of BBR
BBR Super 225 package includes:
- BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
- BBR high performance intake and exhaust camshafts
- BBR 3.5 – inch diameter branded tailpipes with stainless steel clamps
- BBR badges for front wings and boot lid
- Drive by wire controlled direct to head billet 45mm DCOE throttle body assemblies
- Bespoke BBR aluminium ram pipe support/backing plate (carbon-fibre option available)
- Bespoke BBR DBW system – complete OEM ECU integration
- Bespoke BBR air rail for MAP and servo feed
- Alloy inlet ram pipe curved extensions
- CNC machined 20mm alloy inlet ram pipes – black and silver anodised for OEM style discrete appearance
- Optional BBR foam air filter available
Priced at £3495.00 for a DIY package option, or £4295.00 for a drive-in, drive-out installation at BBR’s Brackley HQ, the BBR Super 225 package is on-sale now. Owners of BBR Super 200 converted cars can migrate to this new level of performance for just £2495.00 fitted.
The Super 225’s BBR independent drive by wire throttle body package hardware is also available in isolation for any Mazda MX-5 NC engine, priced from just £1795.00 with optional BBR foam air filter at £65.00 excluding VAT.