The Porsche Track Precision App can now be directly displayed on the touch screen inside Porsche 911 and 718 models using Apple CarPlay. Previously, the app was only available on smartphones.
Drivers get the new functionality as part of the Version 3.2 of the app. In addition to the ability to be seen on the screen, drivers gain access to an additional 100 pre-programmed race tracks (bringing the total available up to more than 300). Individual recordings are now available.
Over 300 international circuits are available on the app.Photo courtesy of Porsche AG
All the app functionalities are as follows:
- Automatic lap time recording using GPS data: the user must first select or create a track for this.
- Live displays: when driving on a circuit, the lap timer (current time and speed deviation in relation to the reference lap including prediction for the current lap time) and the “Drive at your limits” views are available. The latter visualises performance based on acceleration and other vehicle data.
- Video analysis: videos from smartphones or action cams can be recorded when driving and combined with driving data afterwards.
- Driving performance analysis: the connection to the car’s sensors means that a wide range of information such as steering angle, brake pressure and accelerator pedal position is available. This information can be compared with the data from previous laps and makes it possible to quickly see where the driver can improve. Videos and driving data can be exported for detailed analysis.
- Data can be transferred quickly and easily using AirDrop to allow detailed analysis on an iPad later.
- The Apple Watch® app allows recording to be started and stopped and can also record the driver’s pulse. The watch alerts the driver by vibrating if they achieve a new personal best time.
- Driving experiences can be shared via social media.
How does it work? The app is connected to various control units in the car via the Porsche Communication Management system. The system and app connect and information from the vehicle’s sensors is recorded by the app and analyzed in comparison with a reference lap or personal best.
The new version of the app is currently available for download and via update from the App Store.