The Chevrolet Silverado HD is just a year out of the gate in its current generation, but the 2021 version of the heavy-duty truck will be getting a host of upgrades, including a new max tow rating and four special edition variants.
The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado HD is getting more standard and available features. Work Truck, Custom, and LT models will now be available with the Bed View Camera in the rearview mirror screen insert. Silverado HD High Country models have the view standard on the infotainment screen and it will be available on the LTZ and LT.
Chevy is making SiriusXM satellite radio and OnStar available on Work Trucks and standard on the LT trim. Wireless photo projection for Apple CarPly and Android Auto us standard on LTZ and High Country trim level models, and available on LTs.
The Safety Confidence Package is being made available on Work Truck and Custom models, which will also now come standard with a front center console with storage. It includes forward collision alert, automatic emergency braking, a driver information center, and steering wheel audio controls.
There are two new exterior colors available for 2021 Silverado HD buyers: Mosaic Black Metallic and Cherry Red Tintcoat.
The maximum towing capacity has been bumped up 500 pounds to an 36,000 to deliver a best-in-class max tow rating, which is achieved by the Silverado 3500 HD Work Truck when equipped with a Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheels, two-wheel drive, the 6.6-liter Duramaz Diesel engine, 10-speed Allison transmission, and Chevy’s Max Tow Package. According to Chevrolet, hardware updates to the suspension and packaging changes to the wheels “helped achieve the new tow rating, which is certified to SAE J2807 standards”.
To aid in towing, Chevy is adding to the roster of towing tech available on the Silverado HD for 2021. New is:
- Trailer Length Indicator – When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert – Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement – Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator – Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer3.
- Rear Side View enhancement – Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
Four special editions will be available for 2021 as well.
- Carhartt Special Edition – This variant is offered exclusively on the LTZ and features all-weather floor liners with the Carhartt badge, along with exclusive two-tone Jet Black and Carhartt Brown perforated front and rear leather seating surfaces featuring unique stitching and Carhartt embroidered headrests. Outside, the Carhartt Special Edition comes exclusively in Mosaic Black Metallic with Carhartt pinstripe detailing, Carhartt badging on the doors and tailgate, 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires and a soft roll-up tonneau cover embossed with the Carhartt logo. Body-color grille bar and chrome inserts, along with body-color front and rear bumpers, further add to the distinctive exterior styling and the truck’s overall presence.
- Midnight Edition – Available on black LT and LTZ trims, Midnight Edition offers an intimidating blacked-out appearance from tip to tail, including the grille bar, grille inserts, skid plate, Silverado badging and standard black 18-inch aluminum wheels with aggressive mud-terrain tires, or available black 20-inch wheels.
- Z71 Sport Edition – Available on LT and LTZ trims, the Z71 Sport Edition offers an aggressive monochromatic look with color-matched bumpers, grille bar and black door handles. Exclusively available in Red Hot, Summit White or Northsky Blue exterior paint, it also features black accents, including Silverado badging, skid plate, mirror caps, hood vent and black 18-inch wheels with mud-terrain tires or black 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires.
- Z71 Chrome Sport Edition – Available on LT and LTZ trims, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition features body-color bumper and grille bar with chrome accents to door handles, skid plate, grille insert, assist step and badging. Only available in Summit White and Black, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition comes with 20-inch machined aluminum wheels with Grazen metallic accents, or 20-inch polished aluminum wheels on LTZ.
Midnight Edition, Z71 Sport Edition and Z71 Chrome Sport Edition will all be available in late 2020. The Carhartt Special Edition starts production fall 2020.
The 2021 Silverado HD models began production in September and are arriving at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020.