The 2022 Chevrolet Silverado HD isn’t new, and neither is the Multi-Flex Tailgate. However, the combination of the two is fresh for the 2022 model year.
The Multi-Flex Tailgate will be offered as an option on all 2022 Silverado HD models, in addition to the segment-exclusive Power Up/Down Tailgate option on LT, LTZ and High Country.
General Motors, the parent company of Chevrolet, first offered the tailgate as the branded MultiPro Tailgate for GMC pickups. Then it was renamed for the Chevy trucks lineup and finally it makes its way to heavy-duty Chevy models.
The 2022 Chevrolet Silverado HD will be available with the Multi-Flex Tailgate.Photo courtesy of Chevrolet
The Chevrolet version of the tailgate really isn’t much different than the GMC version. The biggest difference is that it wears bow tie badging.
It’s functionality includes:
- Primary gate — opens from the key fob, from inside the truck or via a button on the gate.
- Primary gate load stop — helps prevent items from sliding out of the box.
- Easy access — the inner gate folds down, allowing a deeper reach into the box.
- Full-width step — the inner gate folds into a large step for easy access and holds up to 375 pounds.
- Inner gate load stop — helps prevent second-tier items from sliding out of the box.
- Inner gate with work surface — when opened, provides a work surface as well as second-tier loading.
2022 models also will be offered in a new exterior color, Greenstone Metallic, when the truck arrives on dealership lots later this summer. Pricing has yet to be announced.